Friday, July 27, 2012

One Reason I Will Be Learning Advanced ASL

It is artistic, elegant and beautiful...



I am headed back to school the same week that my daughter is.   School is an exciting place for me, it always has been.  Wow,  that is a lie if I ever saw one.   I hated the early years and the forced assignments where you had to actually stand up in front of people and talk.   I hated that part of  school.  That and the fact that I was chubby and shy and people like to pick on people like me.  I hated that part of school too.  

When I went back to school in '08  I remember the fear that was rising up in me the first time I had to present my paper on Ethics in Health care.  I was suddenly 9 and needed to throw up.  I do not know how I got through it, unless it was the back pack my partner had given to me that possessed special powers.   It emitted a force field to keep me safe.   It worked and I have always been grateful for that gift.   I also realized that I wasn't 9 anymore and I began to really enjoy speaking in public.

  The school was a McSchool.  It took my money and in return I earned a A.S.S.   I love seeing that in writing.  It makes me laugh.  In all fairness, it did almost everything it said it would but it just didn't work out for me.   I am and will continue to remain a certified Cpht.   I have no idea if I will ever use it.  Because it was a McSchool none of my credits count anywhere in the "real" world.   I don't look at it as a waste of time though.  I learned a lot about myself that I didn't know and probably never would have known, especially if someone just tried to tell me.  I had to go through it.  Such is everything in life.

So as I said, I am going back to school.   This time a "real" one.   I am headed first toward Sociology and plan to wander around a bit.   One thing I know for sure is that I will be taking as many Communication classes as I can and I will study ASL for my second language.   I laugh at myself because the last thing I have been is a great communicator.  Past personal experiences prove that. That old saying about people who go into psychology, sociology, social work etc are the one's that need it the most.   And so it goes with communication for me I guess.   I plan to be a counselor when I graduate.   I tell people that I am planning a great career with a BA in one of the ology realms.   They nod kindly and take me off their list of possible relationships from the Mcdating site.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment